tel.: +39 0521 905976
Daniele Nizzoli, PhD
My research activity includes and integrates the fields of biogeochemistry, limnology and ecosystem ecology and I am especially interested in the study of bacterial mediated nitrogen transformations and their regulation by both natural and human induced bioturbation in coastal lagoons and freshwater environments. My main fields of activity comprise: effects of macrofauna (both natural communities and high densities of farmed bivalves) and aquatic primary producers on benthic biogeochemitry, with special focus on microbial processes of N the cycle (nitrification, denitrification and DNRA) and nitrous oxide production; analysis of ecosystem services in artificial lakes impacted by eutrophication and in natural lakes suffering permanent stratification and characterized by large volumes of anoxic hypolimnetic waters; scientific support to the definition of strategies for sustainable utilization of natural resources and for the restoration of impacted aquatic environments.
- Azzoni R., D. Nizzoli, M. Bartoli, R. R. Christian & Viaroli P. Factors Controlling Benthic Biogeochemistry in Urbanized Coastal Systems: an Example from Venice (Italy) Estuaries and Coasts In press. DOI 10.1007/s12237-014-9882-6
- Nizzoli D, Welsh DT, Longhi D, Viaroli P. 2014. Influence of Potamogeton pectinatus and microphytobenthos on benthic metabolism, nutrient fluxes and denitrification in a freshwater littoral sediment in an agricultural landscape: N assimilation versus N removal. Hydrobiologia 737: 183-200
- Viaroli P, Nizzoli D, Pinardi M, Rossetti G, Bartoli M 2013. Factors Affecting Dissolved Silica Concentrations, and DSi and DIN Stoichiometry in a Human Impacted Watershed. Silicon 5 (1), 101-114
- Bartoli M., Castaldelli G., Nizzoli D., Viaroli P. 2012 Benthic primary production and bacterial denitrification in a Mediterranean eutrophic coastal lagoon. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 438: 41-51
- Nizzoli D., Welsh DT., Viaroli P. 2011. Seasonal nitrogen and phosphorus dynamics during benthic clam and suspended mussel cultivation Marine Pollution Bulletin 62, 1276–1287
- Nizzoli, D., Carraro, E., Nigro, V., Viaroli, P. 2010. Effect of organic enrichment and thermal regime on denitrification and dissimilatory nitrate reduction to ammonium (DNRA) in hypolimnetic sediments of two lowland lakes. Water Research 44 (9): 2715-2724
- Tavernini, S., Nizzoli, D., Rossetti, G., Viaroli, P., 2009. Trophic state and seasonal dynamics of phytoplankton communities in two sand-pit lakes at different successional stages. Journal of Limnology 68(2), 217-228
- Bartoli, M., Vezzulli, L., Nizzoli, D., Azzoni, R., Porrello, S., Moreno, M., Fabiano, M. and Viaroli, P. 2009. Short-term effect of oxic to anoxic transition on benthic microbial activity and solute fluxes in organic-rich phytotreatment ponds. Hydrobiologia 629(1), 123-136.
- Bartoli, M., Longhi, D., Nizzoli, D., Como, S., Magni, P., Viaroli, P. 2009. Short term effects of hypoxia and bioturbation on solute fluxes, denitrification and buffering capacity in a shallow dystrophic pond. Journal Of Experimental Marine Biology And Ecology 381 (2):105-113
- Bartoli M., Nizzoli D., Castaldelli G., Viaroli P., 2008. Community metabolism and buffering capacity of nitrogen in a Ruppia cirrhosa meadow. Journal of experimental marine biology and ecology. 360(1), 21-30.
- Nizzoli D, M. Bartoli, M. Cooper, DT. Welsh, G.J.C. Underwood, P. Viaroli. 2007 Implications for oxygen, nutrient fluxes and denitrification rates during the early stage of sediment colonisation by the polychaete Nereis spp. in four estuaries. Estuarine Coastal and Shelf Science. 75: 125-134.
- Nizzoli D., M. Bartoli, P. Viaroli. 2007. Oxygen and ammonium dynamics during a farming cycle of the bivalve Tapes philippinarum. Hydrobiologia 587: 25-36.
- Bolpagni R, E. Pierobon, D. Longhi, D. Nizzoli, M. Bartoli, M. Tomaselli, P. Viaroli. 2007 Diurnal exchanges of CO2 and CH4 across the water-atmosphere interface in a water chestnut meadow (Trapa natans L.). Aquatic Botany 87: 43-48
- Nizzoli D, M. Bartoli, P. Viaroli. 2006. Nitrogen and phosphorous budgets during a farming cycle of the manila clam Ruditapes philippinarum: a full scale experiment. Aquaculture. 261:98-108
- Nizzoli D., D.T. Welsh, E.A. Fano, P. Viaroli. 2006. Impact of clam and mussel farming on benthic metabolism and nitrogen cycling, with emphasis on nitrate reduction pathways. Marine Ecology Progress Series 315:151-165.
- Nizzoli D., D.T. Welsh, M. Bartoli, P. Viaroli, 2005. Impacts of mussel (Mytilus galloprovincialis) farming on oxygen consumption and nutrient recycling in a eutrophic coastal lagoon. Hydrobiologia 550: 183-198.
- Bartoli M., Nizzoli D., Viaroli P., Turolla E., 2001. Impact of a Tapes philippinarum farming on nutrient dynamics and benthic respiration in the Sacca di Goro. Hydrobiologia 455: 203-212.
- Welsh D.T., Bartoli M., Nizzoli D., Castaldelli G., Riou S., Viaroli P., 2000. Seasonal rate of denitrification, gross community primary productivity and inorganic nitrigen and oxygen fluxes in an inter-tidal Zostera noltii meadow. Marine Ecology Progress Series, 208: 65-77.
- Heijs SK., Azzoni R., Giordani G., Jonkers HM., Nizzoli D., Viaroli P., van Gemerden H. 2000 Sulfide induced release of phosphate from sediments of coastal lagoons and the possible relation to the disappearance of Ruppia spp. Aquatic. Microbial Ecology, 23(1): 85-95.
- Bartoli M., Nizzoli D., Welsh D.T., Viaroli P. 1999 Short-term influence of recolonisation by the polycheate worm Nereis succinea on oxygen and nitrogen fluxes and denitrification rates: A microcosm simulation. Hydrobiologia 431: 165-174.